<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, March 28, 2008

I survived Grandma's kidnapping. My aunt called my other sister (the one who sanely refuses to go on all trips and refuses to feel guilty about it) and asked her, "Did you know your grandma is keeping the girls hostage? That's ate up." I may have made up the last line, but my aunt always says that. " You are ate up."

Except she says it in a high-pitched, laughing voice. She said it when we wouldn't take off all our clothes and swim in the quarry. She said it when we took pictures of a wall to wall gun cabinet in our cousin's in-laws house. She's my mom's younger sister by a year. My cousin used to get confused by which mom was hers when she was a baby. My mom and aunt both smell like patchouli, smoke and something else I can never place . . .


On a totally different strand, I hate it when authors break the fictional spell they work so hard to create. For example, when a character mentions he has to go to Wal-Mart or watch Meredith Viera. It distracts me completely.

I am on my 5th Jodi Picoult book. I know her writing style, her formula and can predict the book after the first chapter and she constantly does the aforementioned. However, I cannot stop. It is like an episode of House for me. Predictable, but still entertaining.

Comments:
That's so funny, Reedy, because I have been on a Jodi Picoult kick since Christmas, and I totally agree. It's like watching little girls in beauty pageants. I don't want to and yet, somehow I am drawn and can't stop. Which ones have you read? I've read Nineteen Minutes, Change of Heart, and one I can't remember the name of about a dad who kidnapped his daughter. I made myself stop for at least a while, so I read Paula Deen's memoir and now I'm reading Lovely Bones. I think you'd like that one a lot.
 
I did read Lovely Bones! I liked it. I feel SO less guilty about reading her now that I know you read her too! I have read The Tenth Circle, My Sister's Keeper, The Pact, Nineteen Minutes, Vanishing Acts (the one where the dad kidnaps the girl) and right now am reading Plain Truth.
 
Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?