<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, February 19, 2007

A friend from work said to me yesterday, "I can't imagine anyone not liking you."

For some reason it made me sad, not that I am so likable :), but because I wondered, "You know the entertaining Jenn, which is not necessarily the complete picture. -- Just wait until we play a board game. If you can still think I am likable after that . . . "

She also said it because we were talking about people from work that I am pretty sure do not like me. I am slightly unconventional. When it comes to following rules or doing what I think is best for kids, I will err on the side of kids always. I probably though should be careful until they stamp my personnel file with "TENURED." I work with "at risk" kids, and sometimes compromises need to be made. I follow simple common sense rules in my classroom. I teach kids to ask themselves questions before they do things and make decisions for themselves.

I do not believe in silly rules. If a student is hungry, why can't they eat a snack? If a student is thirsty, why can't they get a drink? If a student is having a bad, confidence-paralyzing hair day, what harm comes if they wear a hat?

I do understand the need for order. We discuss this. We agreed that sometimes we have to wait to get a drink of water because it wouldn't be respectful to walk out when another person is talking. We agreed that eating when we are on computers isn't a good idea because no one likes crumbs near their workspace. We make agreements. They work. For us.

Some teachers believe in content over relationships. I love teaching, but it is the kids not the curriculum I love most. Somedays I do miss teaching kids who pour over books and get it the first time, but for now I think I am in the right place.

Tomorrow I have a meeting. It is one of those BIG meetings. Do I want to continue with at-risk kids, or move back into the regular classroom? Do I want to commit to this and create a meaningful intervention program, or is there a chance I will burn out?

On a side note, the lady on the Today Show speaking about inns in Puerto Rico just got her information wrong about Vieques.

One other side note, that Pedigree commercial makes me cry everytime.

Comments: Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?