<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, July 21, 2004

Today is a day where everything reminds me of Puerto Rico.  The shoes I am wearing-- bought them my first year in Puerto Rico.  The scarf I am wearing as a belt-- bought it as part of my leaving Puerto Rico outfit.  My jeans-- Old Navy in Puerto Rico.  My purse-- Christmas present from a student in Puerto Rico.  And you know what bother me the most?  The thought that soon there might not be so many visible reminders.  Or I'll forget where things came from or the silly shopping story behind them. 

I did call a friend today that also moved from Puerto Rico this year.  It was reassuring to know that even though she is in New Jersey, we both understood the heartache. 

Dear Puerto Rico,
The driver's license you gave me is still in my wallet along with a meaningless receipt and a parking lot boleto.  I just can't take them out yet.  You changed me so completely, and I thank you for that.  You helped me be comfortable in my own skin, I needed to learn that.  You taught me to depend on God, myself, and others all at the same time.  I miss your ocean breezes, your blue bricked streets, your loud people, your breathtaking views, and the feeling of being part of someplace so special with so much pride and love.  I am sorry I had to leave.  It's not that it was "too hard" or even too hot.  You taught me how important family was, and I needed to be close to them.  I love you and I know I'll see you soon! 

Completely Enchanted,
Jenn





Comments: Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?