<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, May 06, 2004

Today was a horrible day.

Today is Students' Day. It is a half day of school, where we have chapel, give out awards, and have a party. It is usually a good day, but not today.

Kevin would not accept any of his awards because he didn't get a math award, instead I gave him a participation award labeled for math. He wasn't one of the highest students, nor a student who works especially hard. He just loves math, and thought he should get one. He went outside and cried.

Cesar complained he only got 2 awards. Cesar refuses to do homework, but is intelligent. Lazy, but smart. It was hard to find 2 awards to give to him.

Juan Carlos cried that he couldn't watch Beavis and Butthead, and that I wouldn't let them go outside.

Juan Carlos and Cesar got into a fist/ kicking fight over mean words. They both cried.

Luis refused to look or talk to me because I made him come inside after he called a 6th grade student "chicken" (in Spanish), which in Puerto Rican culture is a slang word for a gay man's lover.

Several students complained that there weren't enough snacks (the students were in charge of bringing the snacks).

I gave out a bag of candy and a book, one student asked me why they only got one twix.

Now, they are not all selfish brats.

Some of the girls tried everything they could to make me feel better. They wrote messages on the board to me, cleaned up the classroom (all on their own, after the party), and one girl came up to me and put her arm around me as I was sitting at my desk, and said, "Teacher, boys can be so stupid sometimes, right?"

So, maybe today wasn't a complete disaster after all.

It is raining, and I have the whole evening with nothing extracurricular planned. The Friends finale is on tonite, and there is no school tomorrow, AND I took Monday and Tuesday as my personal days. I need these five days to remind myself why I love those boys.

Comments: Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?