<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, March 16, 2004

I love restoration.
Joe and I have made-up. Tears, smiles, and forgiving. A wonderful night.

My students take their big test tomorrow. I hate how nervous it makes me. It is just that amongst teachers at our school, the results are so competitive. However, they do tomorrow, I know I tried my best-- and that is all that I can ask from them.

A student had a nervous breakdown in my class today. I held my composure, although, just between you and me, I almost broke down and cried in front of my students. This student, Kevin, is under tremendous pressure. He is an awesome competitive swimmer and practices early in the morning before school and after school. He is punished if he doesn't get all his homework done before school ends. Knowing this, I am more lenient if he is bent over his workbook before we have ever read the lesson.

Today, during a 10 minute free period he lost it. He felt like some students were laughing at him, and he really lost it. I was at my desk, and I saw him with his fists clenched walking tensely growling. He started punching a desk and screaming. Needless to say, the other students stopped and looked so scared. I calmly "jumped" up, went over to Kevin and held him. He tried to wrestle away muttering he was going to hit another student. Keeping my composure, I asked the students just to walk outside and sit on the bench that Kevin just needs his space.

Soon, I was holding him, but it wasn't a restraint hold, but a comfort hold. I reminded him to breathe, and I told him that I was proud of him for walking away when he was so angry. He was crying, growling, shaking, but he was listening. He told me that he just lost it when he felt he was being laughed at. We talked for a while, and he decided that he would go up to the chapel and work on some math (his most favorite subject) for a little while before art. I agreed with this plan, let him go, and brought 17 scared students back in the classroom.

I just explained to them that Kevin just got really nervous, and that he's fine. We talked about how scary it was, but that we needed to still treat Kevin like everything is fine. At the end of the day, I was proud of everyone, including myself. Everyone was friendly and calm by 3:00. I, however, needed a nap.


Comments: Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?