<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, January 31, 2004

A new day. Today feels fresh. I checked my balance and I have enough to pay rent and the phone bill! Somedays, I am jealous of other people's time. This has nothing to do with anything, just a random comment. I think it is because I know I am going to be late for a meeting/breakfast at church, and I just want to sit here-- and write about some of the neglected, but most important parts of my day.

I have been reading this great book. It isn't some great Spiritual or dazzling novel, but a book called Wondrous Words, and it is all about teaching kids how to be singular writers with their own writing style and see writing as an art.

We have started research papers in my fifth grade classroom. The students chose their topics themselves. As you can imagine, there is quite the array of topics from, "The History of Skateboarding" to "Harriet Tubman." The librarian tried to sit me down and tell me I can't let a student write about skateboarding. When I asked her why she mumbled about me encouraging rebellion and sin. She is almost pushing 70 and crotchety as all get out. I asked her if I should sell my skateboard then. I do not, nor have I ever owned a skateboard and maybe I was being rude, but at the moment it seemed right. She hates me, and that is ok with me.

We have been reading and studying about the Prairie. Do you think my kids have any concept of Kansas in the early 1900's? They have no idea. We looked at pictures, read poems and detailed descriptions. Then, I had them write poems about the prairie. Here is my favorite.
" Prairie.
Not my prairie.
Your land so flat.
How do you handle that?
You can move here.
I can share my mountains and caves and beaches.
And you won't get so dusty bowling here."

I love seeing what stands out to my kids after I have "taught them." I had to read the comment "dusty bowling" a few times before I caught the reference to the "dust bowl." I think I should try to talk slower.

Oh my, I really have to go, or I am going to be late.

Today though, I can laugh about the fight in my classroom that almost made me cry. Bryan is a good boxer and Juan Carlos knew what parts he needed to defend. I remember seeing them playing basketball after school together. Boys.

Comments: Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?